Please note: If you like the content on this page, much -- but not all -- of the written content featured on this site has been reviewed, edited, and updated (as necessary) and is now included my new book series (which also features entirely new content).
- I shouldn’t talk to that person because I don’t want to bother them.
- I shouldn’t ask anyone for help because it makes me seem needy.
- I shouldn’t feel proud of my accomplishments because I haven’t done anything original or noteworthy.
- I shouldn’t draw attention to myself because I don’t deserve it.
- I shouldn’t contribute to a conversation because I might say something wrong.
- I shouldn’t express my affection for someone because it probably won’t be reciprocated.
- I shouldn’t show vulnerability because it will make me appear weak.
- I shouldn’t offer advice because I don’t have a degree in the subject.
- I shouldn’t express my opinions because someone may disagree.
- I shouldn’t act a certain way because it isn’t considered adult behavior.
- I shouldn’t stick my neck out because I might get my head chopped off.
- I shouldn’t use profanity because it might offend someone.
- I shouldn’t try to help people because my own life isn’t exactly where I want it to be.
- I shouldn’t even try because it probably won’t work or turn out the way I want it to.
- I shouldn’t publish a post or piece of art until it’s perfect — and it never is.
And that’s just me.
If I listened to everything I told myself I shouldn’t do, I wouldn’t ever do anything worth doing.
Sometimes you just have to tell the voice in your head to SHUSH! And then remind yourself that if it turns out that whatever you want to do is a mistake, you’ll learn from it.
[ DISCLAIMER: I am not recommending law breaking, bad, abusive, or negative behavior. Please use common sense. ]
Everyone feels anxiety at times. Everyone gets nervous. Everyone occasionally wonders if what they want to do will be a mistake.
And that’s ok, but you don’t ever let that stop you from living your life on your terms. Who are you living your life for anyway? You — or everyone else on the planet?
Live. Try stuff. Make mistakes. Learn. Improve. Repeat.
Because being afraid of doing something you truly want to do isn’t a good enough reason not to do it.
“Live life fully while you’re here. Experience everything. Take care of yourself and your friends. Have fun, be crazy, be weird. Go out and screw up! You’re going to anyway, so you might as well enjoy the process. Take the opportunity to learn from your mistakes: find the cause of your problem and eliminate it. Don’t try to be perfect; just be an excellent example of being human.” — Anthony Robbins
- Rejection is neither an indication of value or talent
- Leveling up in life
- Offsite: ‘Live life fully while you’re here’
- Offsite: The future is not a result of choices among alternative paths offered by the present
- Offsite: If you don’t make the time to work on creating the life you want…
- Offsite: Do something today that your future self will thank you for
- Offsite: Actions speak louder than words
- Offsite: Decide what you want and do the work to get it