Please note: If you like the content on this page, much -- but not all -- of the written content featured on this site has been reviewed, edited, and updated (as necessary) and is now included my new book series (which also features entirely new content).
[This was originally written as a response to a post by Wojtek Skalski on Medium.]
But it’s important to realize that there is rarely a single approach to life that works best for all people.
“Do not follow your passion.” suggests that countless wise and successful people who have advised it are wrong. And that isn’t necessarily the case.
Because for at least some, follow your passion is the answer.
But whether it involves pursuing one’s passions or not, folks who dispense life advice would likely be far wiser offering open-minded suggestions than absolutes.
Neither is necessarily bad advice. It simply depends on what one’s source of motivation and values are in life.
Success can be defined and measured in many ways.
Not everyone measures wealth with money. Not everyone wants to lead a conventional life. And not everyone has the courage to go after what they truly want.
Whether a person ultimately succeeds at turning their passion into a sustainable career or not, one thing is for certain, they will no longer live with the regret of never having tried.
What is one of the primary purposes of life if not to continually reaching out for newer, richer, deeper, life-changing experiences?
People who don’t think that involves pursuing one’s passions may be successful at what they do, but at the expense of being truly fulfilled by it.
- Why “follow your passion” is not bad career advice
- What it means to “live life to the fullest”
- Success isn’t just about accomplishment
- Strength from struggle
- “It’s too late.”
- Your heart’s desires
- Offsite: What do you desire? – Alan Watts (video)
- Offsite: How will you recognize your passion when you encounter it?
- Offsite: Why you will fail to have a great career: Larry Smith at TEDxUW
- Offsite: Follow your bliss and don’t be afraid…
- Offsite: You’ve got to follow your passion
- Offsite: Excerpt from Paulo Coelho’s introduction to “The Alchemist”
- Offsite: You will know you’re on the right path when the process enthralls you